Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Sandcastle Girls Part 3

This will be the last part of examining the Sandcastle Girls.  I welcome your comments and hope you are out there! 

What will the world become with recording on tape, disc, phones, computers and all the other systems of saving our memories?  Back in 1915 they had people’s memories (which we all know can be faulty) and photographic plates.  The world has changed a lot in the past century but now we have endless ways to capture history.  Now, at least in America, every person who is wronged by any thing can post it on YouTube and get satisfaction if you get enough people to view.  Can you relate to the German who preserved the photographic plates?  The jeopardy he placed himself in (I know it is fiction but think about if you would do it?).  In the end, isn’t this entire book about the adventures of these inanimate objects that tell a story? 

Chapter 12: History does matter. ‘There is a line connecting the Armenians and the Jews and the Cambodians, the Bosnians, and the Rwandans.’  There is a connecting line between all of us.  As I was reading this book I went to the nail salon and met an interesting young woman, Holly.   We discussed our recent books and I mentioned The Sandcastle Girls about the Armenian slaughter.  Well, it just so happened that she is Armenian and suggested I read: 

Passage to Ararat






It will be on my short list as soon as I read some uplifting books. Anyway, as we were discussing the book and the heinous acts committed against the Armenians, she told me of Hitler’s comment when challenged about extinguishing the Jews.  Supposedly he said: ‘no one remembers the Armenians, they will also forget the Jews’.  Back to History – if we forget it we will soon relive it. 

Anyway, this entire subject is depressing me on the gloomy, rainy day I am writing it.  I will close the discussion of this excellent book with a quote used in this book and attributed to  Aldous Huxley who observed, ‘Every man’s memory is his private literature.’  Go out and create your own literature for your heirs to uncover.

Happy Reading,
Barbara 

PS:  Do you think the title of this book is appropriate?  What would you have named it?





No comments:

Post a Comment