Monday, May 6, 2013

The Corrections by Franzen


Hello Dear Readers,

I will be (or am) in Colorado from April 27-May 11 so I am writing this review/questions a few weeks early and they will post via scheduling on the blog. 

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen…. What did you think?  This is the first book I have read by Franzen and although I enjoyed the book I am not sure if I’ll read another.  The Corrections was full of the typical situations that keep a reader reading.  Love, hate, anxiety, drama, mental and physical illness, separation, intrigue, assumptions, passive aggressive behavior and dominance were all present in this book along with every other psychiatric condition you could name. All of them were in my opinion, extreme.   T he pace of the book was frantic.  It was filled with chaos.  Of course all of this is my opinion.  

I don’t know if I have ever read a book where the pace of the words just pulled you along at a reading pace so quickly.  The characters were bounced around from the present to the past to a different character rapidly.  I almost gave up halfway through the book and know that if it wasn’t for our readers out there I wouldn’t have completed this book.  I am glad I did finish because the end was worth completing. 

In September 2001 this book was an Oprah Book Club Book.  The following are a sampling of questions that were presented from that discussion.  I am not going to complete them all but have selected a few that will appear over the next weeks.  Please enjoy the entirety at your leisure:

Happy Reading,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment