Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Book Thief - part one

Hello Everyone,
Here it is Valentines Day and I though I may have a minute or two to encourage you to keep on reading.  I will need to hear your reports on this book.  As I am getting more into it I have a feeling we are headed to Dachau!  I don't know if I can read any further!  Back in 2000 we visited Germany and the tour guide decided to take us on a side trip to this infamous place,  It was unbelievably eerie for me.  I could not make my body move into the camp.  As I write this it brings tears to my eyes as that day my emotions were way out of control as I sobbed at the gate.  This is one of my favorite pictures from that day:
 It is a sculpture by Glid that stands at the entrance to the concentration camp.  It just make me sick thinking how cruel humanity is.  Anyway, off my soapbox!!!
How about a little about Markus Zusak:
Markus Zusak was born in 1975, the youngest of four children born to German and Austrian immigrant parents. Markus studied teaching at university and gained experience teaching at the high school level. Marcus began writing when he was sixteen years old, and completed his first (unpublished) manuscript at eighteen. While his writing may seem most relevant to young adults, he hopes that readers of all ages can discover meaning in his work. 


Maria said in a previous post that she was having trouble keeping the characters straight.  If you want a listing of characters in this novel, please check out this website:


http://www.gradesaver.com/the-book-thief/study-guide/character-list/

I am about 25% through the book and plan  on keeping on so will you too?

Happy Reading,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment